If you were seriously injured, remember that it is crucial to choose the right law firm to represent your interests. We have been doing this for more than three decades, and have the resources you need to challenge any opponent.
In 2019, more than 118,000 big rigs were involved in accidents resulting in injuries, often serious ones. In just three years, the number of large trucks involved in fatal crashes has risen by 16 percent, while the crash involvement rate per 100 million large truck miles has increased by 11 percent. If you’re involved in a big rig accident, you’ll often face a long recuperation period. You may be entitled to compensation—and the stakes are often higher than they are for crashes with other passenger vehicles.
Table of Contents
Truck Accident Statistics
In 2019, 5,005 people passed away after big rig accidents—a 36 percent increase since 2010. Most of those killed in large truck collisions are those in other vehicles (accounting for 71 percent of deaths); truck occupants and non-occupants like pedestrians and bicyclists make up the remaining 29 percent of deaths. In addition, more than half of all fatal big rig crashes took place on rural roads, while around one-fourth of these collisions occurred on interstates.
September is the peak month for fatal truck crashes, while February tends to have the fewest crashes. And just like the number of big rig deaths is increasing, the number of injuries in big rig crashes increased by 7 percent from 2018 to 2019.
What to Do After a Big Rig Accident
After being involved in a semi-truck accident, there are a few key steps to take.
Get to Safety
Big rig crashes can snarl traffic for hours, potentially putting your vehicle at risk of further collisions with passersby. If you can, get to a safe place after the accident and wait for help to arrive. In most cases, it’s safer to stay inside your vehicle unless your vehicle is in the roadway or remains otherwise at risk.
Seek Medical Attention
Not all big rig injuries are immediately apparent. If you have internal bleeding, soft tissue injuries, or even a traumatic brain injury, you may not realize it for hours, days, or weeks. Neck injuries, nerve damage, and emotional distress may worsen over time. Getting a thorough medical checkup after a big rig accident and following your doctor’s recommendations can go a long way toward improving your recovery time.
Take Photos and Gather Evidence
If you’re able to, take photos of the accident scene. An accident report will include documentation of property damage to your vehicle, your injuries, the truck’s license plate number, and anything else that seems relevant. These photos can be valuable evidence later as you try to establish exactly what happened in the minutes leading up to your accident.
Talk to a Big Rig Accident Attorney
A personal injury attorney can help you recover the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries. Even if the truck driver admits fault, the insurance company may not offer you a settlement that even comes close to covering your out-of-pocket medical costs. A big rig accident attorney can investigate your claim, negotiate with other parties, and build the strongest possible case.
Truck accident victims are entitled to fair compensation for negligent actions by liable parties. There are many types of truck accidents where an experienced truck accident attorney can ensure punitive damages are collected.
Some Big Rig Truck Accidents Are Caused By:
- Driver fatigue
- Brake failure
- Tire Blowouts
- Mechanical failure
- Distracted Drivers
- Rollover Accidents
- Ignoring weight limits
- Allowing unqualified truck drivers to transport goods
If negotiations with the trucking company’s insurance provider aren’t fruitful, you may need to file a personal injury lawsuit against the party or parties at fault. This case can then settle at any time—or it can go all the way to trial. The speed and ease with which your claim will be resolved depend on the circumstances, the severity of your injuries, and other factors unique to your case. Some things, including verifiable costs, may limit your claim for damages; however, you may not fully recover non-economic damages when working against powerful insurance companies.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a big rig accident, you may be entitled to compensation. At The Ferraro Law Firm, we’re focused on each client’s case and will use all our resources to ensure you have the most robust representation possible. To schedule your free consultation, call 888-554-2030 or just fill out our free case consultation form, and a member of our team will soon be in touch.
Frequently Asked Questions: Truck Accidents
What should you do after a truck accident?
What is the leading cause of truck accidents?
What does a truck accident lawyer do?